If you’ve never made your own hummus before, try our best hummus recipe! It’s so quick and velvety and delicious you’ll wonder why you ever bothered with the store-bought version.
There are so many hummus recipes out there. We like ours lemony and heavy on the tahini. You can add these ingredients gradually and taste-test as you go along … or just trust us and go for broke!
You can use canned chickpeas, or cook yours from scratch using dried chickpeas. Whichever way you decide to go, be sure to drain them over a bowl and reserve the canning/cooking liquid (aquafaba). You’ll need the liquid to thin the hummus without adding excess oil or lemon juice.
Hummus can (read: should!) be eaten at any time of day. Spread it on toast with avocado and a poached egg for breakfast. Serve it as a dip with toasted pita or Turkish bread, crackers or vegetable crudités. Use it as a tasty, healthy alternative to butter in a sandwich. Top it with grilled fish, chicken or lamb and serve it beside a crisp salad as a main. The possibilities are endless.
Once you’ve made your own hummus, you’ll never bother with store-bought ever again. And our is the best hummus recipe you’ll ever try!
Best Hummus Recipe
- Food processor
- 1 400g can chickpeas or 1½ cups cooked chickpeas drained, canning/cooking liquid reserved
- 1½ lemons, juiced
- 1–2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 3 TBS tahini
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Paprika, olive oil & chopped Continental parsley to serve
- Place all ingredients except paprika and parsley in a food processor.
- Add a generous splash of canning/cooking liquid and blend until smooth, adding as much liquid as you need to form a velvet-smooth hummus. It should be light and creamy, not stiff.
- Taste, and adjust seasoning.
- Serve in a shallow dish finished with a drizzle of olive oil, a dusting of paprika and a sprinkling of chopped parsley.