All hail the queen of cocktails! The blood orange margarita is a delicious and colourful variation on her classic sister.
A margarita is the perfect balance of sweet, sour, salty and boozy. No wonder it’s Karen’s favourite cocktail!
When blood oranges are in season they are juicy and affordable. Select fruit that is heavy for its size, with dark colouration on the skin.
Blood Orange Margarita
Blood orange margarita is a delicious and colourful twist on the traditional margarita.
- Cocktail Shaker & Strainer
- 1 wedge lemon or lime
- Crystalised salt
- 3 parts silver tequila
- 2 parts Grand Marnier or Cointreau
- 2 parts blood-orange juice
- 1 part lime juice
- Slice of blood orange and a sprig of mint to garnish
For the salt-rimmed glass
- Place salt crystals on a small plate or saucer. Make a thin cut in the flesh side of the lemon wedge. Run the cut edge around the rim of the cocktail glass. Dip the upturned glass into the salt crystals until they stick and form a crust around the rim of the glass.
For the blood orange margarita
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Pour cocktail ingredients over ice and shake well. Strain into salt-rimmed glasses and serve with a slice of blood orange and a sprig of mint (optional).