Our ceviche tuna salad makes a delicious starter, or a light summer lunch. It’s fresh and tangy with pops of sweetness from the mango, and creaminess from the avocado. The quantities given in this recipe serve four people as an entrée/starter, or two as a main course. Serve it with a crisp sauvignon blanc, or a Blood Orange Margarita.
Tips for making Ceviche Tuna Salad
Always buy the freshest fish you can. Fresh fish should not have a strong fishy smell, but rather it should smell like the sea. If you’re using tuna, look for fish that is a deep pink colour.
Ceviche Tuna Salad should be served chilled, but should also be served it promptly after adding the lime and lemon juice. Once added, the citrus juice will immediately begin to cook the fish. If left too long, it will alter the character of the fish. For best results, chill the ingredients before you mix them, or even before you cut them up.
These ingredients need plenty of seasoning. Add salt gradually, tasting after each addition to make sure you don’t go overboard. We use Maldon sea salt.
We used stainless steel ring moulds to create this pretty ring shape. If you don’t have ring moulds, you can use a lightly-oiled ramekin, small bowl, or even a small teacup to mould it into a circle.
We used sashimi-grade tuna to make our salad, but it would also work with sashimi-grade salmon or kingfish.
Alter the quantities of the ingredients to your liking. If you love the sweetness of the mango, add more mango. Want more crunch? Add more celery or cucumber. To make the salad heartier, especially if serving it as a main, use more quinoa.
If you like a little heat, add some deseeded fresh, finely chopped jalapeños.
Tried this recipe? let us know in the comments section below
Ceviche Tuna Salad
- To serve: one large and one small ring mould. See notes. optional
- ½ cup sashimi-grade tuna finely diced
- ½ cup avocado finely diced
- ½ cup cucumber peeled & finely diced
- ½ cup ripe mango finely diced
- ⅓ cup cooked quinoa
- ⅓ cup cherry tomatoes finely diced
- ¼ cup red onion finely diced
- ¼ cup celery finely diced
- 2 TBS semi-dried tomatoes finely diced
- 1 lime juiced
- ¼ lemon juiced
- Salt & pepper
- Baby rocket or coriander leaves to serve
- Balsamic glaze
- Place all ingredients except the citrus juice, seasoning and rocket in a large bowl. Squeeze lime and lemon juice over, season, and mix gently with your hands. Check and adjust seasoning, adding more lemon juice if needed.
- Centre the larger ring mould on a plate, and centre the smaller one inside it. Carefully spoon the salad mixture into the outer circle, pressing down gently. Lift ring moulds out and repeat with remaining serves. Decorate with rocket or coriander leaves, and dot balsamic glaze around the plate. Serve chilled.